Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Where's George?

I'm just saying, TV promised me George Clooney.

From watching the show ER (or any medical drama for that matter )you would come to a number of conclusions:

1. ER doctors are generally great looking

2. A lot of winsome, good looking people almost die daily in ERs, but are saved thanks to an equally good looking doctors' quick thinking

3. An ER nurse has only to stand vaguely in the background while 3-4 doctors heroically throw down to save a patient

4. The staff get passionately emotionally involved with at least one patients' saga every shift

5. Any unsuccessful resuscitation ends with a downtrodden doctor alone in a stairwell or on the roof of the hospital, questioning their worth

Alas, four years into actually working in a real ER, I have arrived at a few more modest truths:

1. There are disappointingly few amazingly good looking ER doctors

2. Most of the patients that check in are neither winsome nor about to die in any sort of exciting way (though many think they are both).

3. One singular ER doctor stands in the back of the room and gives orders while nurses and techs get their hands dirty (I guess saving people isn't as sexy if you don't get to call each other 'doctor')

4. 'I accidentally ran myself over this morning' brings out passionate emotion in few of us...

5. I've yet to see any staff sitting alone, despondent in a stairwell or on the roof. And I'd very much like to figure out how to get on the roof.

Though in general I feel like my job is pretty interesting (hence the blog), and I adore 99.85% of the people I work with ( doctors included), I'm still marginally disappointed that 1.there's no George and 2. we don't still get to rub metal paddles together then smash them on a patient's chest while shouting "clear!" (We use stickers, which are practical but hardly as dramatic). Oh well.

2 comments: