Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Nurses versus Docs



The first time I saw this, I'll admit, I chuckled a bit. And then I thought, 'man, if I was a doctor, jokes like that would really irk me.' Then I started thinking about this on going battle between nurses and doctors. And in a lot of ways, I'm thinking it's time that bugle went silent.

It all started in nursing school. Before then, I always thought of doctors as respectable people who want to help others. But somewhere, subtlety and almost subliminally, in the process of nursing school I learned that 1. doctors do not care about their patients as much as the nurses, 2. nurses will often have to save their patients from the doctors 3. doctors are jerks 4. doctors resent the increasing skill level of nursing.

It reminds me a little bit of the feminist movement. There were real injustices against women and real inequality, and I'm thankful to live on this side of the movement. But we have a hard time keeping that pendulum from swinging too far. For example, what TV family can you think of where the man isn't lovable but largely idiotic and married to a competent and capable woman who rolls her eyes and holds the family together? Women have been victims of injustice and inequality and violence at the hands of some men. That doesn't mean that all men should be disrespected and demeaned by women.

In the medical field there's been real issues with doctors being mean and even verbally abusive to nurses and I know there's been a real turf battle, but lets not let the pendulum swing too far. We've been taught a lot about being advocates for our patients, which usually implies standing up to doctors when we think something isn't right. And I'm not saying that isn't necessary sometimes. I just think we need to remember that nurses can kill patients too. By negligence, distraction, and error just as easily as doctors. I've met as many nurses that have lost concern and compassion for patients as I have doctors. Nursing has grown in its scope and skill set but that doesn't mean we should stop respecting our doctors, or start thinking we are immune to the same vices we like to stereotype them with.

The human condition is not unique to certain professions. We all deal with our pride, with losing our vision and ideals for working in healthcare, with being unfair or unkind to the people around us. None of us like being challenged in our decisions. If I had four more years of education and x number of years more experience than someone, I would have a hard time not being angry or defensive if they questioned my decisions, overtly or subtlety. That doesn't mean there isn't a time or a place for that, it just means it would be helpful if we communicated respect to our doctors when we ask questions or bring up concerns. And to remember, as much as it stings, they really do know more than us. Usually. ;)

It's a rule of human behavior. It's a lot easier to show respect for people who respect you. Respecting someone doesn't mean becoming subservient and mindlessly compliant. It's recognition of position and skill set and knowledge base combined with the gracious communication we should give to any human being.

Don't assume from this diatribe that I am not guilty in taking sides in the nurse v. doc war. But I am trying to stop myself and think about it more and try to be more deliberate in respecting the doctors I work with. Because I do work with some pretty fabulous doctors and I want them to feel the support of the nurses that work with them. And let's face it, everyone fares better (especially our patients) when nurses and doctors play nice. We want our doctors to respect us and treat us well, let's start by living that Golden Rule ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment