Saturday, December 3, 2011

The Uninsured

The other day I had a patient who had fallen and broken her arm. Three days before she came to the ER to get treatment. When she came in she was teary eyed and obviously in a lot of pain.

"Why did you wait so long to have this looked at?" I asked her. Her arm was bruised and she could barely move it without wincing.

"I don't have insurance." As she said the words the tears in her eyes moved to her voice, and I could sense the stress and worry that underlined the pain.

We xrayed her arm, gave her pain medications, a splint, and a referral to an Orthopedic doctor. Pretty simple, but I'm sure the bill won't be pretty. I went over her discharge instructions with her, and gave her the referral card for the orthopedic doctor. The tears welled up again as she shook her head, "I don't have any insurance to pay for all this..." I urged her to call the office and make sure she gets appropriate treatment, suggesting that they may be able to work with her for payment. Will they? I have no idea.

I've heard people mention "the uninsured" like they're mentioning a curse. "Those" people. The irresponsible. The leeches. But looking at my teary eyed patient I saw someone who was just struggling. Probably to make ends meet. Probably falling in the donut hole of people who aren't poor enough for Medicare but can't afford the hundred of dollars a month it cost to purchase a decent insurance plan.

I'm not completely sure where I stand on healthcare reform, but I do know that it's hard to watch people who need help not seek out what they need because they know they can't afford it.

2 comments:

  1. It really pained me to hear fellow coworkers say negative things about those that are uninsured. The truth is, we don't know their story. Have we let them down as healthcare workers? Is this system working? I feel it still needs to be improved upon. It will forever be a work in progress. I am glad that you're there Merrily to provide compassionate care to those coming into the ER. You will inspire others to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was Jen btw. I guess I never put in a profile name :)

    ReplyDelete